RE: draft-ietf-marid-submitter-01.txt

2004-06-28 16:40:38

On Monday, June 28, 2004 1:50 PM, Matthew Elvey wrote:

On 6/28/04 11:09 AM, Harry Katz sent forth electrons to convey:

On Monday, June 28, 2004 9:36 AM, Greg Connor wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Matthew Elvey wrote:

[snip]

Yes.  The paragraph you quote is preceeded by:

   "If the above tests indicate that the connecting SMTP
client is not
   authorized to transmit e-mail messages on behalf of the SUBMITTER
   domain, the receiving SMTP server MAY reject the message
using "550
   5.7.1 Submitter not allowed."  The receiving SMTP server MAY
   alternatively proceed to read the message and apply local policy."

If the spec is interpreted procedurally, the above could take
precedence over the below.
That threw me.  The reverse precedence is desired.  (Case
where SUBMITTER does not match header and is not allowed.)

Good point.  If the last sentence of this paragraph is removed, would
that make things clearer?  It's redundant with the paragraph I quoted
(repeated below).

From section 4.2:

  If the receiving SMTP server allows the connecting SMTP client to
  transmit message data, then the server SHOULD determine
the purported
  responsible address of the message by examining the RFC
2822 message
  headers as described in [SENDER-ID].  If this purported
responsible
  address does not match the address appearing in the SUBMITTER
  parameter, the receiving SMTP server MUST reject the
message using
  "550 5.7.1 Submitter does not match header."

If this needs some further clarification, please let me know.