RE: terminology: authentication / authorization

2004-07-09 09:42:06

The Internet Security glossary is not a definitive work, it is an
attempt to describe definitions that already existed in the field.

The real definition of the terms authentication and authorization
is Butler Lampson's work in the 1970s.

The problem with pulling terms from the glossary is that there are
a bunch of assumptions built into the definitions that have to be
understood. It is even worse because the typography does not allow
terms of art to be distinguished.

The computer security nomenclature was developed for non-networked
machines. Granting the right to perform an action is synonymous
with the ability to perform it.

Take a look at the definition itself and this becomes clear:

     An "authorization" is a right or a permission that is
     granted to A SYSTEM entity to access A SYSTEM resource.

An authorization is NOT a right that is granted to an entity
on one system to access a resource on another system which is
what people are trying to make it.

According to the glossary what we have is a credential:

   $ credential(s)
      (I) Data that is transferred or presented to establish either a
      claimed identity or the authorizations of a system entity. (See:
      authentication information, capability, ticket.)

Most authentication credentials conflate authorization information
in some degree. A username and password record conflates permission
to log on to the machine, an SSL certificate conflates permission to
turn on the padlock icon. This does not mean that it is useful to
call authentication and authorization the same thing.

A MARID record answers the question 'does the mail come from the
purported domain', that makes it an authentication credential.

The motives of the writer are completely irrelevant, what is
important here is the interpretation of the reader, that is the
only thing that gives the record meaning.