Re: Forging (was Re: Differences between CSV and Sender-ID )

2004-07-09 08:51:42

Douglas Otis <dotis(_at_)mail-abuse(_dot_)org> wrote:
This does not show the relationship is non-linear.  Do you need more
information as to what linear means, or are you ignoring the point and
spreading FUD on purpose?

You have not offered simulations for traffic flow to counter this
claim.

  The original question was entirely independent of traffic flow.

 You have not offered a premise for your assumptions regarding the
number of queries needed.

  The relationship I originally discussed, and what Greg was talking
about, was how the number of DNS queries depended on the number of
incoming SMTP connections.

  Let's define some terms:

  N = number of SMTP connections to an MTA
  D = number of DNS queries performed by that MTA, per SMTP connection.
  T = total number of Sender-ID DNS queries performed by the MTA.

  Q: Is T = \theta(N)?

  Your response was that D was large, and would cause the net to
collapse.  I don't see how that could be construed as answering the
question.

 An  effective proponent would  not resort  to personal  berating to
dissuade critics.

  An effective opponent would answer questions, and would not resort
to avoiding the issue.  The alleged ad hominem was directly on point:
You were asked a question, and you refused to answer it.  Your answer
was ambiguous as to whether or not you even understood the question.

  From my reading of Sender-ID, all of the DNS lookups it performs are
initiated from SMTP connections.  Therefore, the relationship must be
that T=\theta(N), and probably T=DN.

  Your argument that D is large is a nice one, but irrelevant to the
question you were asked.

  Alan DeKok.