Re: Another question on draft-ietf-marid-submitter-02

2004-08-04 11:01:09

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 06:49:42PM +0100, Tony Finch wrote:

| On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Hadmut Danisch wrote:
| >
| > So I will still receive thousands of bounce messages because spammers
| > are abusing my address for sending messages?
|
| Not if you use BATV.

The argument for BATV/SES in more detail is this:

There will always be some fraction of non-compliant
receivers.

Even if 90% of the world does the right thing and rejects
correctly if the MARID check fails, thus abating the bounce
blowback problem,

there will still be 10% who are oblivious to all the work we
are doing and will continue to do the blowback thing,

which suggests that if a sender is really concerned about
blowback they will do something unilaterally, orthogonal to
MARID,

and that unilateral thing looks like SES which has been
reinvented as BATV.

An implementation of SES is described here.

http://asarian-host.net/srs/sendmailsrs.htm

If you take SRS, remove the idea that only forwarders have
to do it, and add the idea that senders always do it, you
get SES.