Re: So ... did Dewey beat Truman?

2004-08-07 08:38:44

Graham Murray wrote:

will the 'typical' big ISP user want to use a From: address
which is different from the ISP allocated (MAIL FROM)
address?

If that typical user is me, then yes.  The German market has a
lot of call-by-call ISPs for modem / ISDN users, and depending
on the time and the day of the week I use different ISPs.

Most of these ISPs offer mail services.  And a majority of the
ISPs with mail services allow POP3 access independent of the
IP (i.e. I can get my mail from ISP A even if I'm online using
ISP B).  But ISP A won't allow me to send mail while I'm using
another ISP.

Therefore I use my address at ISP A always as From: address,
but my MAIL FROM depends on the mail provider (ISP A, or a MSA
of a 3rd party, or the smart host of another ISP).

I have no idea how usual or unusual that is, but the default
smart host of the biggest German ISP enforces a From: address
matching the MAIL FROM matching the identified user (RADIUS):
They simply replace From: and MAIL FROM.  Many Usenet users
(not exactly "typical") are very unhappy with this practice.

he always has the option of using a mail hosting service or
moving to a smaller ISP which does offer this.

Sure, but these services are generally not "free", i.e. not
included by call-by-call ISP services.  One of the SPF ideas
is that this is a voluntary thing.  Sender-Id would force MSAs
of 3rd parties to implement RfC 2476 8.1 "MAY" even if they're
not interested in Sender-Id, _or_ the users of these MSAs could
upgrade their MUA to do this automatically, _or_ they insert a
Sender: manually, _or_ they don't know what's going on, their
mail is rejected, and they're unhappy with this MARID business,
where they can't use their favourite From: address everywhere.

If the only problem in this case is the missing Sender:, why
not handle the Return-Path as "PRA" (only in this case) ?  The
MUA of the recipient wants to display a verified "PRA", so this
MUA knows the new "PRA" concept, and therefore it could handle
this obvious problem.
                        Bye, Frank