Re: record size and wild cards, was change of version string

2004-08-11 08:42:49

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, william(at)elan.net wrote:

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Rand Wacker wrote:

I seem to recall at the WG meeting that people *did not object* to
breaking wildcards.

Perhaps we were at different meetings, for I do not remember this.

Wildcards were not in fact discussed at WG meeting in any serious manner
as it was understood that SPF TXT records were easy with wildcards as they
go directly under the domain and so will future dns specific record type.

This was during the -protocol discussion when Mark was up on the
blocks.  Excerpt from the meeting minutes that Andrew just posted:

---
A long discussion on DNS issues was then undertaken by the room.
Participants discussed the issues of using new DNS record types instead of
TXT record types, the usage of prefixes to avoid conflicts, and the
utility of wildcards.  Many participants expressed concern with codifying
the use of TXT records.  Mark noted the definition of a new DNS record
type and the eventual transition to it.  Other participants related their
experiences with SRV records and the inability to use them.  Many in the
room asked that deployment considerations be given equal consideration to
architectural considerations and suggested that few were truly happy with
the use of TXT records but many understood the importance of the
compromise.  After much discussion about wildcards, the sense of the room
was that they are not as practical as they appear to be.
---

-Rand