Re: DEPLOY: Microsoft's Statement about IPR Claimed in <draft-ietf-marid-core-03.txt> and <draft-ietf-marid-pra-00.txt> in Combination

2004-08-24 01:44:56

Stephane Bortzmeyer a écrit :

 Michel Bouissou <michel(_at_)bouissou(_dot_)net> wrote
   VIII. Other Notes:  ** A license to implement these specifications
will be made available at http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/standards on
or before September 15, 2004.

Then the compatibility of this license with implementation of SenderID
in Free Software cannot be determined before this license is actually
published.

The licence has been published on this Working Group mailing list.

Yes, I've just seen it had been attached to a following mail from Harry
Katz. The first email from Harry looked like the license wouldn't be
available before Sept, 15, thus my reply at this stage.

I note that this license remains "non-transferable and
non-sublicenseable", and that, to benefit from this license, one still
needs to return a written, signed copy to Microsoft.

In understand that the distribution rights (in binary or source form) are
only granted by this license, and thus, the issue remains of
redistribution rights for makers of Linux or *BSD distributions, who
simply couldn't afford to have to sign and return licenses, and track
their status, for every software package in the thousands of software
packages that modern Free Software distribution contains. So this still is
a problem.

Even though the license states that the licensee can redistribute
"indirectly" the Sender-ID code, it doesn't give any clue about the right
(or lack thereof) for the distributors themselves.

I'm also wondering about the "FAQ" : A FAQ by itself has no legal weight.
If a FAQ is needed, it tends to show that some points in the license may
be unclear. I would much prefer if all possibly unclear points were stated
in the license itself, as it would both make them clear, and have legal
value, rather than in a separate FAQ.

Yet, I'm concerned with the compatibility of this license with a GPL'd
MTA, as a first read makes me think they remain incompatible, but IANAL...

Could Microsoft give their written statement regarding the compatibility
between their Sender-ID license and a GPL'd MTA ? (please do not reply
that the GPL is just "yet another license" and that compatibility with
every license cannot be examined...)

Three weeks (until September 15) is just the time it takes to update a
Web page on an IIS Web server.

ROTFLMAOWPIMP

--
Michel Bouissou <michel(_at_)bouissou(_dot_)net> OpenPGP ID 0xDDE8AC6E