RE: DEPLOY: Microsoft's Statement about IPR Claimed in <draft-ietf-marid-core-03.txt> and <draft-ietf-marid-pra-00.txt> in Combination

2004-08-24 09:55:41

On Tuesday, August 24, 2004 12:36 AM, Roy Arends wrote:

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Harry Katz wrote:

The following IPR disclosure statement was sent to
statements(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
earlier today.

What I'm concerned about is that licensing of technology
developed and published through the IETF sets a precedent.
We'll be drifting from the mudpool to the quicksand.

There are dozens and dozens of IETF specifications that have associated
IPR claims.  Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/ipr.html for a current
list.

In fact this "precedent" has long been established and, as I understand
it, deliberately so in order to encourage organizations to contribue
their IPR to standards efforts.