RE: DEPLOY: Legal liability for creating bounces from forged messages

2004-08-28 05:48:35

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Jim Lyon wrote:

On Thursday, August 26, 2004 at 7:01 PM, Chris Haynes wrote about
whether the RFC's and ID's really do or do not give one the legal
authority to silently discard forged email.

I offered a reading of the docs that supports the case for silent
discards.  Chris offers a reading of the same docs that supports the
case against forged email.

<snip>

Even though the standards are ambiguous, there is ample precedent for
the action.  I can demonstrate (on the basis of only 2 ISPs) that more
than 10% of all email sent today is silently discarded.

(There are lots of criminals performing crimes, that doesn't make crime
acceptable).  The SMTP RFC's clearly state "reliable".  The reason some
ISP's are discarding is obvious, but irrelevant.  This WG should be trying
to get us to a better (compliant) place, not justify existing bad behaviour.

Nevertheless, this has strayed a long way from MARID's charter.  It
does, however, point to a need for more clarity in one's
responsibilities in this area.

Agreed

-- Jim Lyon

--
Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment