Re: DEPLOY: Prior Art for PRA

2004-08-31 13:23:52

Hi Yakov,

--On Tuesday, August 31, 2004 1:57 PM -0400 Yakov Shafranovich <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com> wrote:

RFC 3028 which defined SIEVE has the following (section 5.1):
"5.1.     Test address

    Syntax:   address [ADDRESS-PART] [COMPARATOR] [MATCH-TYPE]
              <header-list: string-list> <key-list: string-list>

    The address test matches Internet addresses in structured headers
    that contain addresses.  It returns true if any header contains any
    key in the specified part of the address, as modified by the
    comparator and the match keyword.
    Implementations MUST restrict the address test to headers that
    contain addresses, but MUST include at least From, To, Cc, Bcc,
    Sender, Resent-From, Resent-To, and SHOULD include any other header
    that utilizes an "address-list" structured header body.

I didn't have the time, but we can check any of the implementations
listed on http://www.cyrusoft.com/sieve/ to see the exact way they do it.
I wound guess that they following a similar algorithm.

The SIEVE address test is not a PRA-type check that scans possible address headers in some well-defined order to extract a particular value. Instead it provides a way to test the content of specific address headers - no ordering is implied, and the author of the sieve script gets to say which headers are tested. So I don't think SIEVE can be used as an example of PRA prior art - sorry!

--
Cyrus Daboo