Re: TECH-OMISSION (-core): alias-forwarding and multiple recipients

2004-09-08 04:58:48

Tony Finch:

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Roy Badami wrote:

How common is it for a forwarder to receive a message with multiple
recipients all of which require forwarding to the same MX...?

If we disabled the multiple recipient function our outgoing message load
would rise by 20%.

Do you mean that it's difficult to configure existing MTAs to behave
in this way, or that it would be difficult to introduce such
functionality into an MTA...?

I mean that it's effectively impossible to disable the multiple recipient
function selectively (i.e. only in the cases that are a problem for
Sender-ID).

That's a too general claim.  Sure, the simplest approach is to
disable multi-recipient deliveries for all messages that contain
at least one alias-forwarded recipient.  This is not needed when
the MTA stores sufficient additional information so that the
scheduler can make a more informed decision (such as the before
aliasing recipient address in addition to the final recipient).

        Wietse