Re: TECH-OMISSION (-core): alias-forwarding and multiple recipients

2004-09-07 16:08:45

"Tony" == Tony Finch <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at> writes:

    Tony> This is both suboptimal

How common is it for a forwarder to receive a message with multiple
recipients all of which require forwarding to the same MX...?

    Tony>  and technically extremely difficult to do without
    Tony> de-optimising all email handling, as opposed to just the
    Tony> cases that are a problem for Sender-ID.

Do you mean that it's difficult to configure existing MTAs to behave
in this way, or that it would be difficult to introduce such
functionality into an MTA...?  I would find the latter surprizing...

I'm assuming that if Sender ID progresses to Proposed Standard, then
the major MTAs will grow native support for it...

    Tony> If you consider also alias-forwarding via a departmental
    Tony> server it's even worse.

If all departmental MTAs are upgraded to be Sender ID compliant, I
don't see the problem problem?  You only add Resent-From when you're
forwarding outside of your adminstrative domain.

During the transtion you may need to keep track of which departmental
servers are Sender ID compliant and which are not, of course...

        -roy