Re: consensus call of RR prefix

2004-09-07 15:52:27

Ryan Ordway wrote:

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 14:32, Andrew Newton wrote:

Therefore, that leaves one under-discussed question: should a prefix be used to avoid collision with other records as one measure of preventing the requirement of DNS over TCP?

No.
1) Inconsistent with SPF RR that doesn't use a prefix

We could move the RR into the same address space.

2) Causes deployment headaches for those who use
   DNS providers whose web-based tools cannot handle
   sub-domains or underscore characters.

I don't know how wide spread that would be. Based on the comments on the lists, there are already issues with TXT records and provider support.

Collissions with other TXT records worry me more which is why I would rather see a prefix or use SRV. I can almost bet you that within a year of MARID someone else will use us as precedent for another RR/TXT experiment.

Yakov