Re: consensus call of RR prefix

2004-09-05 06:46:40

On Sep 5, 2004, at 8:13 AM, terry(_at_)ashtonwoodshomes(_dot_)com wrote:

I voted against a prefix.

I did this not just because of the "_" character support issue, but also because: -implementing a prefix adds complexity (comprehension complexity if nothing else) -many dns providers do not support users adding subdomains (or not through the UI anyway)

I don't yet understand this. Are you saying that there are DNS providers who allow you to host your "example.com" domain, but then only allow you to add DNS records named "example.com"? They wouldn't allow you to add a record for, say, "www.example.com"? Are there DNS providers who do not allow this but would allow the addition of a TXT record?

-prefix does not solve the wildcard issue

What, precisely, is "the wildcard issue"?

--
David Blacka    <davidb(_at_)verisignlabs(_dot_)com>
Sr. Engineer    Verisign Applied Research