Re: RR prefix is not useful

2004-09-04 09:28:11

John Levine wrote:

Based on what I've read, there
aren't a whole lot of other TXT records at the same nodes where MARID
records need to live.

spfv1 records live here right now.

The bloat problem occurs when you use
wildcards.  Since no DNS server I know supports wildcards of the form
_marid.*.phoo.com, you have to put all of your wildcards at *.phoo.com
and that's where you get overlap and bloat.

This means that domainkeys records are going to get caught by these wildcards as well. Wildcards just aren't going to work when we're publishing TXT records, period.

If specific nodes do get
overloaded, SPF and Sender-ID both let you use a short record pointing
to a longer record somewhere else as a band-aid.

That's a fine workaround, but even *those* records will get caught by wildcards. Wildcards won't work.

-Rand