Re: consensus call of RR prefix

2004-09-05 22:47:07

On Sun, 2004-09-05, Mark wrote:
If we require an underscored _marid prefix to prevent potential collisions
with existing namespace, are we then not dealing with a circular reasoning
here?

I mean, if the underscore prefix is not widely deployed because few DNS
providers support it, then choosing an underscored prefix to avoid collision
leads to having to make world-wide changes to providers' User Interfaces, so
that the _marid prefic can be widely deployed; after which time you lost the
advantage again of not running the risk of collision.

I believe the reason for the underscore is that it is, in fact, NOT a valid
*hostname* character, but it IS valid in a domain name. It seems to be a
common, but incorrect, belief that DNS is only for hostnames.

--
Bill McQuillan <McQuilWP(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>