Re: RR prefix is not useful

2004-09-04 09:36:47

The bloat problem occurs when you use
wildcards.  Since no DNS server I know supports wildcards of the form
_marid.*.phoo.com, you have to put all of your wildcards at *.phoo.com
and that's where you get overlap and bloat.

This means that domainkeys records are going to get caught by these
wildcards as well.  Wildcards just aren't going to work when we're
publishing TXT records, period.

At this point it appears that the most likely format for DK records is
some version of SPF records, so the band-aid works for them, too.

If specific nodes do get
overloaded, SPF and Sender-ID both let you use a short record pointing
to a longer record somewhere else as a band-aid.

That's a fine workaround, but even *those* records will get caught by
wildcards.  Wildcards won't work.

I don't see how repeating this claim makes it any more persuasive.  All
the records I know about can use the short pointer band-aid, and it looks
easy enough to have five or six band-aid records and still fit in a UDP
packet.  What am I missing?  I realize that a hundred TXT records won't
fit, but I don't see more than about four TXT record applications showing
up any time soon.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://iecc.com/johnl, Mayor