RE: consensus call of RR prefix

2004-09-05 02:54:08

Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
I would add to that that others in the IETF may use MARID as a
precendent to argue for the use of TXT record. This may quickly increase
the possible number of them. Therefore, I am for the prefix as well.

This is a good point, however:

- MARID has an immediate (emergency-like) need for widespread deployment
like few other standards, and thus the precedent is limited. Most (if not
all) other standards can depend on RFC 3597 (unknown RR types) and/or
underscored prefixes.

- The IETF is capable of determining whether standards now and in the future
have this special need or not.

- Requiring an underscored prefix to prevent this (likely non-existent)
future problem prevents and slows adoption of MARID by those whose DNS
providers do not allow underscores.

It would seem strange if MARID provided TXT publishing to improve
deployment, but then placed it in an underscored prefix which impedes
deployment.

Michael R. Brumm