Re: consensus call of RR prefix

2004-09-05 20:42:07

Why should

  _marid    IN TXT "blabla"

be a subdomain and not supported while

  www            IN   A       1.2.3.4

is a normal entry not causing a subdomain?

If we require an underscored _marid prefix to prevent potential collisions with existing namespace, are we then not dealing with a circular reasoning here?

I mean, if the underscore prefix is not widely deployed because few DNS providers support it, then choosing an underscored prefix to avoid collision leads to having to make world-wide changes to providers' User Interfaces, so that the _marid prefic can be widely deployed; after which time you lost the advantage again of not running the risk of collision.

In that case, we might as well drop the underscore requirement to begin with.

- Mark