RE: consensus call of RR prefix

2004-09-05 10:15:59

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of Matthias
Leisi
Sent: Sunday, September 05, 2004 10:41 AM
To: 'IETF MARID WG'
Subject: Re: consensus call of RR prefix

Just for clarification: Which DNS servers do /not/ support underscores?

I know from testing that BIND 9 is happy with them; since Microsoft uses
them for some AD stuff, I guess that at least newer implementations of
their DNS services will not choke on them.

Local DNS libraries seem to be able to handle it - at least I haven't
heard of resolver-library incompatibility with products that use Apple's
Rendezvous, which is based on kind-of-SRV records and also use SRV's
_<service>._<proto> scheme.

Of course, further testing would be fine, but technically most relevant
pieces of DNS software around should not have issues underscores.

Which DNS providers do (not) allow subdomains and/or TXT records?

Adding something a record for "_spf" should not be any different from
adding a "www" record to a domain.

(Adding TXT records to the admin GUI of my non-profit ISP took me a
couple of minutes.)

For me, the issue isn't BIND, but the web front end that my DNS provider
uses to enable me to enter data.  For the record, www.pairnic.com currently
does the following:

TXT support: Yes.
CNAME support (in my case www is always a CNAME for the base domain): Yes.
Add sudomains: Yes.
Underscore support: No.
SRV support: No.

Underscore and SRV support are both on their list of things to do, but are
not currently available.  If the IPR issue is satifactorily resolved, then I
would like to publish records for both SPF and Sender-ID.  If an underscored
prefix is required, then I'll be unable to do so.  The marginal benifit to
me for publishing records for both SPF and Sender-ID (instead of just SPF as
I currently do) is not sufficient for me to consider changing DNS providers.

Speaking for myself, as a very small fish in this pond, if the IPR issue is
resolved and there is no underscored prefix requirement, I'll publish
immediately.  Otherwise, maybe someday.

Scott Kitterman