Re: DEPLOY: Permitting '-all' to be used immediately represents a flag day.

2004-09-15 04:32:36

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 05:58 -0500, wayne wrote:
I own several domains that do not send email.  Period.  All such email
claiming to be from them are forgeries.  It makes no difference
whether these emails have been forwarded or not, they are forgeries.

Using "-all" is perfectly valid.

I agree that using "-all" by itself is valid. Rather, it is the use of
".* -all" which should be prohibited -- other records which permit mail,
_followed_ by '-all'.

Even in cases where a domain does send email, it should be up to the
domain owners to decide whether they think that the problems with
forwarders outweigh the problems with forgeries.

I disagree. We are supposed to be designing protocols for interoperation
between sites; a scheme which actually works in practice. You cannot
allow sites to merely disregard the way the real world works, to the
detriment of others. Or would you also advocate permitting TCP
implementations to do what they like with retries in the case where the
link is congested?

--
dwmw2