Re: DEPLOY: Permitting '-all' to be used immediatelyrepresentsaflagday.

2004-09-15 12:26:20

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 06:15:59PM +0000, Mark wrote:
N.B. I do not think Meng really meant to litterally use "nobody@" in his
example. He was, I believe, just demonstrating how one can easily change a
..forward file, to achieve the necessary rewriting, without having to
implement SRS.

s/easily/brokenly/

I seen hundreds of mail loops where customers configure their Exchange
to pop3 their Mailboxes and then users have forwards to other domains.
Exchange rewrites to 2921.MAILFROM to the address of the user and
forwards the email through a outgoing relay (well behaved, use the
mailserver of your provider)
Funny things happen as soon as the destination host encounters an error
(mailbox full, message too large, ...) and a bounce is generated.
Yeah, this can be fixed by adding bounce Mailboxes for each and every
user and changing all existing software and have users query the double
number of mailboxes and then they will automate it and we'll start from
the beginning.
We could also just write a completely new mail system, maybe it would be
lesser hassle and deploy faster and be less broken ...

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299