RE: DEPLOY: Permitting '-all' to be used immediately representsaflagday.

2004-09-15 09:47:20

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of Tony
Finch
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 12:13 PM
To: terry(_at_)ashtonwoodshomes(_dot_)com
Cc: ietf-mxcomp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: DEPLOY: Permitting '-all' to be used immediately
representsaflagday.

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 terry(_at_)ashtonwoodshomes(_dot_)com wrote:

Another way of looking at it is, if the receiver wants to
forward other
(valid) email address(es) to his/her actual email address,
the onus is
on the recipient to ensure that the MTA doing the forward on his/her
behalf has the necessary mechanisms.

Most recipients are not capable of doing so, and most
forwarding sites do
not have the necessary mechanisms. The necessary mechanisms
either do not
work adequately (in the case of /pra) or

Agreed, I don't like PRA, it seems dumb perform tests on something that can be
forged anyway.

are problematic (in the case of
/mailfrom).

Problematic does not mean without resolution.  I have heard solutions (although
have not implemented
any yet).

If it does not then either accept the risk of rejected
email OR strive
to get the sender to send to the final email address directly.

The point of using a forwarding address is to have a stable
email address

Agreed, I have many email addresses, and I too will have to ensure the
forwarding is done by
compliant servers (or move the forwarding elsewhere).

independent of the final destination. It's a huge pain to
have to update
everyone's address books every year or two.

I know.  It's also a pain to be flooded with emails with forged from domain.

-if the sender a person, then an auto reply on the account saying
(please now use my direct address to contact me) should suffice

Backscatter is part of the problem not part of the solution.

Agreed.  I am already flooded with bounces and crap from failed delivery,
viruses etc.  PRA may
cause some backscatter, but it has the potential to block a whole bunch
(viruses usually include an
SMTP engine so they don't need to relay through a real MTA, hence 1 hop, hence
no backscatter on
rejection before DATA).

BTW I don't endorse PRA because (amongst other things) the backscatter issue.

But I am voting for Classic SPF which does not have a backscatter issue (please
correct me if I am
wrong).

Terry

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
SOUTH FITZROY: NORTHEAST 4 OR 5 IN EAST, OCCASIONALLY 6 NEAR