Re: DEPLOY: Permitting '-all' to be used immediately represents a flag day.

2004-09-15 04:17:10

Graham Murray wrote:

David Woodhouse <dwmw2(_at_)infradead(_dot_)org> writes:

We should avoid such an occurrence. The first publication must
prohibit ("MUST NOT") the use of '-all' in records of either scope
until such time as it is later decided that the Internet as a whole
is quorate with respect to whatever reverse-path/header modification
is required for each.

I very strongly disagree. On the contrary, the use of -all should be
encouraged as soon as possible.

I completely, and vehemently, agree with Graham, on both counts: people who have taken their time in the transitional phase (~all) should be actively encouraged to start using -all; and -all records SHOULD NOT be prohibited; not now, not ever.

As I have pointed out earlier, interpreting SPF records is not obeying local policy, but REMOTE policy; namely, that of the domain owner. If the domain owner feels comfortable enough about his setup to use -all, then we SHOULD NOT break things by ignoring that policy; nor encourage people to revert to the "I am in the process of making up my mind/setting up my installation" stage, which ~all effectively is.

- Mark

       System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,