RE: DEPLOY: Permitting '-all' to be used immediately representsaflag day.

2004-09-15 09:12:50

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 terry(_at_)ashtonwoodshomes(_dot_)com wrote:

Another way of looking at it is, if the receiver wants to forward other
(valid) email address(es) to his/her actual email address, the onus is
on the recipient to ensure that the MTA doing the forward on his/her
behalf has the necessary mechanisms.

Most recipients are not capable of doing so, and most forwarding sites do
not have the necessary mechanisms. The necessary mechanisms either do not
work adequately (in the case of /pra) or are problematic (in the case of
/mailfrom).

If it does not then either accept the risk of rejected email OR strive
to get the sender to send to the final email address directly.

The point of using a forwarding address is to have a stable email address
independent of the final destination. It's a huge pain to have to update
everyone's address books every year or two.

-if the sender a person, then an auto reply on the account saying
(please now use my direct address to contact me) should suffice

Backscatter is part of the problem not part of the solution.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
SOUTH FITZROY: NORTHEAST 4 OR 5 IN EAST, OCCASIONALLY 6 NEAR CAPE FINISTERRE,