Re: HELO and Unified

2004-09-15 12:22:56

Daniel Quinlan wrote:

This cannot work since not all receivers can do SUBMITTER since
matching SUBMITTER to the message is patent-encumbered

Andrew Newton <andy(_at_)hxr(_dot_)us> writes:

How did you come to this conclusion?

The submitter can put whatever value they want in the SUBMITTER field.
The receiver needs some way to associate the SUBMITTER value with the
RFC 2822 message or the check is not meaningful.  The method for
associating SUBMITTER is PRA and PRA is patent-encumbered.  Since Meng
presented two options and one can be used for everyone and other cannot
be used by everyone, the latter therefore doesn't satisfy the
requirement presented by Meng.

The associated requirement is that whatever non-PRA methods we define
(mail-from and helo, for example), we need some RFC 2822 header(s) that
MTAs can add so later stages (like MDA-based or MUA-based filters) have
access to the envelope data and, if it has already been done, the
result.

Daniel

--
Daniel Quinlan                     ApacheCon! 13-17 November (3 SpamAssassin
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/  http://www.apachecon.com/  sessions & more)