Re: HELO and Unified

2004-09-15 10:11:48

At 05:48 PM 9/15/2004 +0100, Tony Finch wrote:

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Andrew Newton wrote:
On Sep 15, 2004, at 1:24 AM, Daniel Quinlan wrote:

This cannot work since not all receivers can do SUBMITTER since matching
SUBMITTER to the message is patent-encumbered

How did you come to this conclusion?

It requires use of the PRA algorithm. Checking SUBMITTER against a
Sender-ID record is equivalent to checking the PRA against a Sender-ID
record, which is covered by M$'s vague IPR claims.

Of course, this assumes that SUBMITTER is being checked.  In past discussions
on SUBMITTER, it hasn't been clear (to me) that this would always be done.
Which makes me wonder how much value SUBMITTER has, since it can then be
spoofed to anything that works.

On the other hand, perhaps if the SUBMITTER address is checked against (just)
the From address, and if different the From address is rewritten to make the
SUBMITTER address that was used visible to the recipient, it might be useful.

-Jim