Re: HELO and Unified

2004-09-15 10:09:45

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 05:48:49PM +0100, Tony Finch wrote:

| It requires use of the PRA algorithm. Checking SUBMITTER against a
| Sender-ID record is equivalent to checking the PRA against a Sender-ID
| record, which is covered by M$'s vague IPR claims.

I wouldn't have a problem if somebody wanted to treat
SUBMITTER as a first-class identity.

The constraint that PRA == SUBMITTER could be left for
patent-encumbered implementations to enforce.
Implementations which do not wish to touch PRA could leave
that constraint unenforced.

Because we would subject the SUBMITTER identity to
reputation/accreditation/local-whitelisting/policy checks
before accepting the message, the risk of weakening
protections for the other identities seems diminished.