Re: SenderID name in use by somebody else

2004-09-19 09:34:54

On Sep 19, 2004, at 8:12 AM, william(at)elan.net wrote:

As such I believe their use of SenderID predated this WG and its our use that is in conflict with their software and not the other way around. This gives them very good standing in court and otherwise and it may become a
serious problem for us in the future, as such I STRONGLY advise this WG
to reconsider futher use of the SenderID name in light of this conflict.

After rereading Section 7.4 of RFC 3667, it would appear that it is not our place to judge the validity of this trademark registration. Either the IETF has been granted the right to the trademark in its reproduction of documents or it has not... and in this case I believe the latter is true.

And unlike the issue of the patent application and patent license, this directly affects the liability of ISOC/IETF.

I will consult with the PTB to verify this.

-andy