Re: RFC 3929 on Alternative Decision Making Processes for Consensus-Blocked Decisions in the IETF (fwd)

2004-10-27 04:17:12

On Oct 26, 2004, at 5:56 PM, Matthew Elvey wrote:

This scheme would put excessive power in the hands of the few: the Chairs, who are appointed (indirectly) by the elite few who can pay non-trivial sums of money to attend lots of IETF meetings, such sums generally provided by large corporations with entrenched interests.

Do you attend the IETF meetings on a regular basis? I ask this because at the IETF meetings I attend I have met a non-trivial number of people who work for non-profits, government agencies, academic institutions, and one-man consulting shops. I am good friends with several individuals who paid their own way to IETF meetings while unemployed, including trips abroad. While funding trips to the IETF requires real money, characterizing those who do as the "elite few" is a mischaracterization.

-andy