Re: RFC 3929 on Alternative Decision Making Processes for Consensus-Blocked Decisions in the IETF (fwd)

2004-10-27 12:46:57

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 05:34:30PM -0000, John Levine wrote:
A fair number of us go to IETF meetings and pay partly or entirely out
of our own pockets.  We stay in cheaper hotels or with relatives, but
we go.  If the IETF process is important to you, you should also go.
If it's not that important to you, that's fine, too.  But the category
"very important but not worth my spending any money" simply doesn't
exist.

What you all seem to forget is that you live in the US or at least on
the American continent where most of the meetings happen.
Paying about half of a months income (after tax) for flight, hotel and the
rest to attend one meeting and spending about half or more of my vacation
days per year to travel to IETF meetings is more than I can and am
willing to afford.
And with the current procedure of entry to the USA for foreigners I
personally feel it is kind of a frivolity to still have meetings in
the USA. I wait for the time to come when you get tatooed and a chip
implanted or one will not be allowed to entry.

Despite the fact that least 3 or the authors of input documents to the
MARID group were not from the American continent there wasn't even a
poll about where to hold the interim meeting. We were presented that
fact that the interim meetings tales place at this and that location
and that was it.
And on the meeting showed up people and names I have never seen in emails
to this list or take part in a discussion but they were part of the
dicision making process. Maybe if the meeting had been at XY Company
and they would have had their own proposal and some 100 employees had
shown up at the meeting we would have had a completely other result.

This is not the topic of this (ex-) group but these are problems that
IMHO showed up with this group and had IMHO quite some influence onm the
results.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299