Re: SPF deployment, was RFC 3929 on Alternative Decision ...

2004-10-30 14:35:28

At 11:36 AM 10/30/2004, John Levine wrote:

>SPF-classic is currently widely deployed.

People have published a lot of SPF-classic records in DNS, but I wouldn't
confuse that with deployment.

The amount of mail going through SPF tests is still small, and only a few
aggressively wacky sites block mail that fails SPF.

With the release of SA3.0, this is likely changing. We're not willing to do SPF checks during the SMTP transaction due to concerns over mailing list handling (mishandling) we've already seen in some early SPF deployments, but we are starting to use SPF checks in SpamAssassin, and expect to continue to do so.

We've also started publishing some SPF records again (we'd stopped when we found several sites using the SPF records in ways that broke mailing lists).

Dan