Re: Sender-ID != SPF

2004-10-31 05:27:40
On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 15:46 -0700, Douglas Otis wrote:
On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 09:44, James Couzens wrote:

SenderID != SPF.  Please don't associate the two.

I agree.  How does one establish a mix of divergent approaches?  A chain
of trust is broken when each node checks a different mailbox-domain.  It
is also seems inappropriate to misapply a record intended for a
different mailbox-domain.  Handing multiple accountable identities is
daunting, especially when a change in convention between administrative
domains makes spoofing easy.  Correlating the mailbox-domain checked and
then displayed becomes another matter.

Regardless of the mailbox-domain checked, leaving authorization normally
open-ended overcomes present problematic header conventions.  Only
institutions dealing with a phishing problem would have an incentive to
tackle closing the authorization list.  Changing from an address-list to
a name-list overcomes exploits invited by an open-ended authorization
list as well, as this would imply a separate entity is utilized for
reputation.

. o O Mmmmmm... I wonder just how it was possible that something like
the KISS principle was completely cast aside instead opting to do the
exact opposite.

I do not know about you, but if I was put in charge of getting a penguin
and a misappropriated series of window frames in a room to chat about
implementing a technology of which the window frames seem incapable of
intelligently dealing with IPR claims to (and without involving their
Media/FUD machine every time), I would try to keep things as simple as
possible.

There exists a very amusing /. post which had a would be chat involving
client's whose names represented the various parties with vested
interest in the outcome of this WG's efforts.  I'm not going to post it
here but its exceptionally amusing, and unfortunately a very accurate
representation of the events that took place here.  Hopefully we won't
see a repeat of this in the future.

Cheers,

James

--