RE: Status of MARID WG?

2004-11-23 10:59:34

From: Andrew Newton [mailto:andy(_at_)hxr(_dot_)us]

On Nov 23, 2004, at 11:22 AM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

There is a difference between a prototype and a product.
Unfortunately
we
have a habbit of inflicting PERL lash up style schemes that
are really
no
more than prototypes onto end users.

What's the saying... "Build a foolproof system and only fools
will use
it."

That has been the cry of the COBOL lobby, the FORTRAN lobby and every group
that has promoted an obsolete legacy product as the future.

The computer sciences have been taking a
beating lately because the technology being produced cannot
be quickly grasped by simpletons.

Deservedly so.

Well, guess what?  Despite all the research and will of the auto
industry, training and a drivers license are still required.

But not for turning on the heater or a/c.

After all, isn't the driver for mta-to-mta authorization
caused because our collective mothers simply will not take on this
responsibility with their click-driven MUAs?

I would argue that the need for the group is due to internet community
dumping an inadequate prototype for a spec onto the user base. SMTP is a bit
of an improvement over the days when email was a feature of FTP which was in
turn a feature of TELNET.