Re: blowback, was A new SMTP "3821" [Re: FTC stuff...........]

2004-12-09 02:40:22

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 01:37:29AM -0000, John Levine wrote:
In the real world, there are whole lot of remailers and forwarders,
and no matter how desperately some domains might want to argue that
nobody's allowed to forward, etc., [snip]

This is bogus.  Forwarding does not have to stop.

Hmmn.  I'm not sure how to respond to someone who seems to think that
I wrote the exact opposite of what I did.

I think you wrote:
"Some domains argue that nobody is allowed to forward".

I respond that this is not the case, in other words I don't think it's
true that SPF wants to stop forwarding.

I said that forwarding happens, and that SPF records saying "no
forwarding" aren't going to stop it.  Recipients can believe -all at

Here you say it again.  SPF does NOT say "no forwarding".
SPF _does_ say: "No spoofing my name".

If you want to forward then that's fine.  Just don't use my name
as the _sender_ of _your_ message.

People claming that the SPF community wants to ban forwarding are
spreading fud, no matter their reputation.

Tendentious non-sequiturs don't advance your argument very effectively.

I needed to look this ("non-sequiturs") up and I don't see why you
want to choose this word.

Alex