PGP cipher tags

1997-08-08 06:31:25
- Do we really need more than 256 algorithms _in PGP_?

There are and will be lots of new algorithms.  Even more if we take
into consideration the key size used.  But will/should all these
really be used and specified in PGP?

- Do we have to change the existing spec (and implementations) that
use 8 bits for specifying the algorithm?

These are the existing algorithms from section 6 of
draft-ietf-pgp-formats00.txt:

6. Constants

This section describes the constants used in PGP Version 5.x.

6.1 Public Key Algorithms

1       -       RSA
16      -       Diffie-Helman, El Gamal variant
17      -       DSS (Digital Signature Algorithm)

6.2 Symmetric Key Algorithms

0       -       Plaintext
1       -       IDEA
2       -       Triple-DES (DES-EDE, 168 bit key)
3       -       CAST5 (128 bit key)

6.3 Compression Algorithms

0       -       Uncompressed
1       -       ZIP

6.4 Hash Algorithms

1       -       MD5
2       -       SHA-1
?       -       RIPE-MD/160

- If there's a need for more than 256 algorithms, how should these be
coded?  In binary or in ascii?  Fixed length or variable length?

/assar