Re: UserID/Auth Field in Open-PGP certs

1997-08-30 12:56:50
From: Charles Breed <cbreed(_at_)pgp(_dot_)com>
wrt Identity, Open-PGP should have the ability to handle other
types of naming conventions than just the usual RFC822. In order
to preserve previous implementations, we should make a new packet
type that would be the new Generic Name packet.

I agree.  That is, the "User" element should remain the same, an
undifferentiated byte-string.

The new "Name" element should have some version and type field in it.

But the way I'd recommend doing that is with the SPKI-SDSI "(name ...)"
construct.  Thus, the field could be used in both environments.

BTW, AS..N...1 should be avoided at all costs.

WSimpson(_at_)UMich(_dot_)edu
BSimpson(_at_)MorningStar(_dot_)com