Re: The purpose of this mailing list

1997-09-10 14:31:14
At 07:45 PM 9/9/97 -0700, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
   This mailing list is for discussion of the next-generation of PGP/MIME. We
   should be creating and discussing descriptions of that protocol.

   The discussions of the last few days (key server lookup protocol, API) are
   not really relevant to the OpenPGP spec. Disucssions about how a particular
   implementation of PGP work should be on the PGP developer's mailing list,
   not here. (I don't remember where that mailing list is, and it doesn't seem
   to be mentioned on the PGP, Inc. Web site, so if someone wants to pipe in
   with the address of that list, it would be very helpful.)

I disagree completely. This is *NOT* the mailing list for the
next-generation of PGP-MIME. This is the mailing list for OpenPGP. That's
why it's called the "ietf-open-pgp" mailing list.

I think that it's completely germane for the OpenPGP list to discuss the
OpenPGP spec, including key server protocols. What purpose do you think the
OpenPGP mailing list should be serving other than discussions of OpenPGP?

        Jon

-----
Jon Callas                                         jon(_at_)pgp(_dot_)com
Chief Scientist                                    555 Twin Dolphin Drive
Pretty Good Privacy, Inc.                          Suite 570
(415) 596-1960                                     Redwood Shores, CA 94065