Charter submitted to IESG

1997-09-18 16:30:29

Our proposal for a WG is now being considered by the IESG.  I expect to hear
after the next IESG meeting (9/25) whether we're in business.  The charter at
the end of the message covers the essential goal of standardizing the way PGP
is used for files and for email.

I know there are other things we need to tackle (PKI and Cert structure come
to mind).  But other groups are also working those issues.  In order to make
sure we get this group up and running, and to make sure we score some early
success, I would like to see us focus in on the packet structure, and use in
email.  No group is currently handling those, so let's see how fast we can get
these two done.

best,

john noerenberg
jwn2(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com
pager: jwn2(_at_)pager(_dot_)qualcomm(_dot_)com
   "We need not to be left alone.  We need to be really
    bothered once in a while."
  -- Ray Bradbury, Farhenheit 451, 1953

OpenPGP charter:

An Open Specification for Pretty Good Privacy (OpenPGP)

Last Modified:

9/18/97

Chair(s):

John W Noerenberg <jwn2(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
Charles Breed <cbreed(_at_)pgp(_dot_)com>

Security Area Director(s):

Jeffrey Schiller <jis(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu>

Mailing Lists:

General Discussion: ietf-open-pgp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
To Subscribe: ietf-open-pgp-request(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Only the word "subscribe" in the body of the message.
Archive: http://www.imc.org/ietf-open-pgp/mail-archive/

Description of the Working Group:

PGP, or Pretty Good Privacy, first appeared on the Internet in 1991.
It has enjoyed significant popularity amongst the Internet Community.

PGP is used both for protecting E-mail and File Storage. It presents
a way to digitally sign and encrypt information "objects." As such
it is well suited for any store and forward application.

The goal of the OpenPGP working group is to provide IETF standards for
the algorithms and formats of PGP processed objects as well as providing
the MIME framework for exchanging them via e-mail or other transport
protocols.

Because there is a significant installed base of PGP users, the
working group will consider compatibilty issues to avoid disenfranchising
the existing community of PGP users.

Security Issues:

The whole purpose of Open-PGP is to provide security services.

Goals and Milestones:

October 1997: Submit first internet draft of OPEN-PGP key format and
message specification.

March 1998: Submit OPEN-PGP key format and message specification for
final call.

May 1998: Submit OPEN-PGP key format and message specification for
Proposed Standard

July 1998: WG last call on both drafts for Proposed Standard,
(including RFC 2015 or its replacement).