Re: What RSA & Netscape have to offer

1997-10-23 09:51:11
At 1:19 AM -0700 10/23/97, William H. Geiger III wrote:

While the list is busy knocking PGP for not doing the "right thing" or
being the "first ones to blink" I though I would share with the list what
some of the "big boys" are doing for the spread of "Strong Crypto to the
Masses". Below is from the most current S/MIME draft
"draft-dusse-smime-msg-05" dated 19-Oct-1997:
I think that when taking pot-shots at PGP, Inc. and Phil Zimmerman one
should look at what the alternatives are and who are really are friends
here. IMNSHO companies like RSA, Netscape, Microsoft, Verisign, et al, who
would sell us all out if it improved their bottom lines do not qualify.

The consistent theme of the Cyphepunks contributors, modulo the noise and
insults and general fun over the past 5 years, has been to call a spade a
spade.

That is, regardless of what the alternatives may be, we call them as we see
them.

Weaknesses are weaknesses. Science dictates what we say.

"But Bad Option B is even worse than Bad Option A, so we should support Bad
Option A" is not very compelling to most of us.

That other companies may also be preparting GAK or GMR or deliberately
weakened ciphers is hardly news. Big Brother is leaning on companies in
many ways, ranging from threats of lawsuits, to antitrust actions, to
denial of export permits, to dangling lucrative contracts.

And the alternatives, for us as users, are not necessarily PGP for Business
5.5 vs. Netscape for Security Departments vs. Internet Explorer for
Fascists. No, the alternatives are to continue using ciphers with strong
cores and long keys.

--Tim May