Re: Symmetric Algorithm

1997-10-29 01:16:35
* Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
(1) MUST Triple-DES (because it's been more studied than CAST5).

I'd prefer idea or blowfish.

(2) Only one MUST algorithm for simplicity.
(3) SHOULD IDEA for compatibility with earlier PGPs (no need to do CAST5
since there is little implementation history).

Agree.

(4) Absolutely everything else is a MAY.

Agree.

Under no circumstances should we
list any MAYs. Implementors should be free to use whatever they want in
addition to the MUSTs and SHOULDs.

Of course, MAY means optional, but we should list the algorithms, because

We should add algorithm IDs for
everything that we know might be in use (such as Blowfish and CAST5), but
not use any words that limit the algorithms to that list.

-as you wrote- the implementors should use conforming identifiers.

BTW: This discussion can not be go to the draft, ... there is no editor.