Re: Symmetric Algorithm

1997-10-28 21:22:29
Jon Callas says:
There are presently three symmetric algorithms used in PGP. They are IDEA,
Triple-DES, and CAST5..........

(1) Which algorithm is the MUST algorithm?

I say - Triple-DES as the most proved, the most reliable and the
most "free".

(2) Should there be more than one MUST algorithm, and if so, which ones?
Please note that arguing for IDEA being a MUST algorithm could lead to the
standard getting bogged down.

Due to its patented nature and some other things I strongly urge to
make IDEA "SHOULD" at most. [Yes, I'm aware of what's the main
algorithm in PGP-2.x.]

(3) Should any remaining algorithms from the original suite be SHOULD or MAY?

People apparently like CAST - and it looks promising. I'd make it SHOULD.

(4) What other algorithm(s) do you want to see as MAY algorithms?

I'd make SEAL and DES/SK "MAY". I realize that there are many nice
algorithms - but how many can (and should :-) we put in?
SEAL is the fastest (but patented), and DES/SK gives
you the benefits of 3DES without the expense of 48 rounds.

My votes:
(1) Triple-DES (because it's less controversial than CAST5).

I'm with you.

(2) No, only one MUST algorithm.

I'm with you.

(3) I'd like to see both CAST5 and IDEA as SHOULD algorithms.

I prefer CAST (due to it's free nature).

(4) I have no preferences, but ones mentioned to me are Blowfish and SAFER128.

Here we differ somewhat... My vote is for DES/SK (and for obvious reason :-).
--
Regards,
Uri             uri(_at_)watson(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com