Re: new algorithm identifier of the symmetric cryptosystem.

1997-12-05 06:48:51
Jon Callas wrote:

   Few years later, someone will hack AES (Advanced Encryption Standard)
   into PGP. I think several people will hack it at the same time. Who
   does allocate/control id number of AES?

You're correct, it makes sense to reserve a constant for the AES now. Thank
you for the suggestion.

Actually, the AES will be chosen from a group of 5 submitted
algorithms.   As all of those algorithms are likely to be independantly
hacked in before the winner is chosen, they will all need numbers, and
it is likely that we can simply use the winning number as a continuation
if it has been deployed.

However, in the event that NIST asks for any changes in the algorithm,
it would be a wise precaustion to reserve the extra number for the
eventual AES as well.  Numbers are cheap, reservations are not.
--
iang                                      systemics.com

FP: 1189 4417 F202 5DBD  5DF3 4FCD 3685 FDDE on pgp.com