Re: Extension to packet lengths

1998-02-12 14:33:22

Hal Finney <hal(_at_)rain(_dot_)org> writes:
We would add an optional four-byte length encoding, which would be
indicated by having the first byte be 0xff.  When this is the first
byte of the length field, it would mean that the following four
bytes would be the length of the packet.

Presently, a length byte of 0xff is interpreted as a partial-length
byte with length 2^31 or 2 GB.  We would eliminate this interpretation
in favor of the new one.  This is only a small loss of functionality,
since if partial-length packets are being used, the pieces will
probably be much smaller than 2 GB.

Comments?

Yes.  Use your approach of prefix of 0xff followed by 4 byte length
field.  Deprecate all other length field types (except for unknown
length?)

Adam