Modifications of 1991 necessary?

1998-02-19 00:02:49
* Jon Callas wrote:
At 08:22 AM 2/18/98 GMT, Lutz Donnerhacke wrote:
  * Jon Callas wrote:
  >Personally, I like the old form of packet headers, as they simply denote a
  >1, 2, or 4-octet length, with no funny stuff. The "new" ones, though, are
  >useful for doing streaming.

  But the old ones does not contain all packet types (esp. CTB_SUBKEY,
  CTB_SECRET_SUBKEY)

Sure it does. The subkey packet is 14, and the secret subkey is 7. Both of
these fit within a 4-bit field.

This modification was not discussed and is not yet implemented in the
refernce implementation. I doubt it to be useful. Subkeys can use packet
version four and must not destroy existing standards in use.

  >There is a difference, in that the old headers only have 4 bits of opcode
  >for packet types. However, since we've eliminated the comment packet, we
  >fit into 4 bits. If we wanted room, we could always kill the marker packet

  You did not eliminate the comment packet. It's in use! Please to not outlaw
  existing implemetations.

Uh oh. We're going to have to have a discussion of this. I'll fork it off
to another thread.

Thnx