Legal issues in implementing OpenPGP?

1998-05-01 10:54:20

Forgive the rather basic questions, but;

If one wants to implement a *commercial* implementation that supports the
OpenPGP standard, are there *ANY* patent/licensing issues we have to deal
with:

  1) Assuming we implement just the "MUST" algorithms?
  (Isn't generic "public key encryption" technology still patented? If so,
   what steps does one have to take to use it? Who must be contacted?)

  2) For the other "SHOULD" algorithms? An appendix listing some info/
    contact details on who one should contact would certainly make
    implementing the spec much easier.

We're a U.S. based company (if that matters), but I suspect contact info would
also be useful to organizations in many other countries as well.

Thanks!
                     -Chris Bartram
                      3k Associates, Inc.

(remove "nospam" from return address for direct replies)