Re: Subject: Re: Legal issues in implementing OpenPGP

1998-05-04 13:24:39
Jim Gillogly says:
Elliptic Curve [??]
ECDSA [??]

Certicom has some patent claims, I couldn't find out what those are
exactly. Probably - something to do with point compression...

There's a rumor that even some CURVES have been patented by somebody.

So the method is very promising technically, and probably hopeless
"politically".

[Why was I so stupid not to patent a few prime numbers, say - all the
primes between 10^3 and 10^150, for cryptographic purposes? :-]

Diffie-Hellman (X9.42) [??]

I'd like to know the "final" status of DH myself. Anybody?

DES/SK [??]

Not patented. Can be used freely.

If you burn it in chips, you may (but don't have to) send me a sample (:-).

And so on... isn't this done in some other IETF docs?

Should be (:-).
--
Regards,
Uri             uri(_at_)watson(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com