the protocol parameter

1998-09-09 15:48:22
From: Thomas Roessler <roessler(_at_)guug(_dot_)de>
Subject: Re: Revising RFC 2015
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 14:34:02 +0200

I believe that the protocol parameter is case-insensitive
since it refers to content-type which is certainly
case-insensitive.

May I quote from RFC 2045?

   The type, subtype, and parameter names are not case
   sensitive.  For example, TEXT, Text, and TeXt are all
   equivalent top-level media types.  Parameter values are
   normally case sensitive, but sometimes are interpreted
   in a case-insensitive fashion, depending on the
   intended use.  (For example, multipart boundaries are
   case-sensitive, but the "access-type" parameter for
   message/External-body is not case-sensitive.)

So, where precisely is your problem?

I said that RFC 1847 doesn't say the protocol parameter is
case-*in*sensitive.

RFC 2045 says that MIME parameter is case-sensitive unless explicitly
defined so.

According to these two things, readers think that the protocol
parameter is case-sensitive.

However, I think that the protocol parameter is case-*in*sensitive
since content-type is case-*in*sensitive as you quoted.

I'm talking about values of MIME parameter, not parameter name.

--Kazu