Re: Revising RFC 2015

1998-09-13 22:50:08
From: Steve Hole <steve(_at_)esys(_dot_)ca>
Subject: Re: Revising RFC 2015
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 08:55:35 -0600

Being one of the very few people that has implemented both PGP/MIME
and S/MIME into their mail products, I can tell you absolutely that
the use of Multipart/Encrypted is a MUST.  Especially for IMAP4
mailers where access to the MIME body structure allows a client to
do intelligent things with an encrypted body part.  You are simply
wrong on this count.  I would fight to the death any attempt to
remove multipart/encrypted from the specification.

I said, "this is just for your information". I didn't propose to
introduce such a drastic change to PGP/MIME.

BTW. I have a couple of questions to you.

(1) Why do you think multipart/encrypted is a MUST? What you do mean
intelligent things? I'm very much curious about them. Could you please
explain more concretely?

(2) S/MIME doesn't use multipart/encrypted. Being one of the few
people, what do you think of it?

--Kazu