Re: Recent Spam

2000-01-05 01:49:03
 On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 08:24:43PM -0800
 Tom Rushworth wrote:

(1) blocking certain addresses
(2) restricting posters to subscriber addresses (or some such)
(3) changing the list name to temporarily dodge the spam.

(4) Do only allow RFC822 compliant messages.

I have noticed that most of these junk mails (frankly I don't know
whether it is really junk as I am not able to read chinese(?)) are not
RC822 compliant.  In most cases the mail headers do contain characters
with bit 7 set - which is never allowed in the headers.

So a simple filter which looks for more than 2 or 3 bad characters in
the header lines (From, To, Subject) should be able to kick out 90%
percent of those mails.  The problem does not exist for this ML only:
Nearly all the junk mail I receive is of that kind.

It should be possible to hack procmail or Majordomo to do just this;
an option for sendmail,exim,qmail,postfix would even be better.

--
Werner Koch at guug.de           www.gnupg.org           keyid 621CC013

     Boycott Amazon!  -  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/amazon.html